Wednesday, September 14, 2011

At what point is it acceptable to un-friend a person for embodying everything you hate about everything?

Because, really, it's getting a bit too much. I hesitate to unfriend people who I actually know in person, because I just feel guilty about everything for no real good reason. But my brief rekindling of "friendship" with this guy over the past couple months has proven to be nothing but a virtual -- and sometimes literal -- headache. Some recent examples:

Linking to this article from The Blaze, of all places: "obama ur a loser. get out of the OO"

Then, in response to this clip:




he wrote: "I kinda agree with him. sorry but thats just like car insurance. u dont get in an accident for 20 yrs so u dont bother with insurance but then the minute u have an accident u call up an insurance company to get it b/c u got in a wreck. sorry not how it works."

I have a lot of Facebook friends who are capitalists, Republicans, extremely religious people, and others with whom I vehemently disagree on a number of issues, but no one infuriates me quite like this guy, and I think I've figured it out: he's not only ignorant, but enthusiastically so.  And enthusiastically ignorant people make me madder than anything, because they fall for it.  All of it.  This kid watches Sean Hannity because he agrees with him and reads THE FUCKING BLAZE without irony.  What makes this even more irritating on a place like Facebook is that, because I have generally smart friends, others will intelligently and -- god only knows how they manage -- patiently respond to his punctuation-less, clueless text-speak with facts and figures and reasoned arguments, and he doesn't bother responding in kind.  Obviously, this is because he doesn't know how, because he's an intentionally ignorant fucking dumbass, but the point remains: I loathe and detest his presence on my Facebook news feed, and the things that come out of his mouth/keyboard/brain make me want to cry for humanity.

He's also the guy who, many years ago when we met through the local music scene, passionately defended his never-ending love for Creed.

I rest my case.

No comments:

Post a Comment